Introduction and aim - Ovarian cystic disease of the bitch includes ovarian and paraovarian cysts, epithelial and stromal cysts. Stromal cysts, including follicular and luteal cysts, although uncommon, are clinically relevant for their potential hormone secretion. The aim of this paper was to investigate some anamnestic, gross and microscopic features of these cysts. Through a retrospective study of bitch genital organs, we want to contribute to the knowledge of the cystic ovarian disease, with special consideration towards the stromal cysts. Materials and methods - The study was based on 462 bitch genital tracts; clinical data, gross and microscopic features of ovaries and uterus were registered for each. Cavitary structures over 8 mm, without egg cells, lined by granulosa and/or luteinic cells were considered to be stromal cysts.An immunohistochemical panel was applied in order to better characterize the cysts. Results and discussions - 95 bitches presented ovarian cysts, 36 paraovarian and 32 both. Prevalence of ovarian cysts had a linear relation to the age of the bitch (aging disease). Most ovarian cysts were asymptomatic, as they were epithelial. Stromal cysts (n=17) were found in young bitches (<2 years), with a prevalence of 4% and in adult bitches (8-12 years) with a prevalence of 6-7%. In 53% of stromal cysts, an irregular oestrous cycle with hormone-dependent lesions to other organs was evident, while in the remaining 47% the cysts were associated to functional corpora lutea. 70% of stromal cysts showed a partial to complete luteinization of the wall. Stromal cysts were always positive to α-inhibin and negative to cytokeratins. Considering the low prevalence of the disease and, especially, the preovulatory luteinization, specific to the bitch, a distinction between follicular and luteal cysts is not always possible in this species, for which the term stromal cyst seems more appropriate, reducing the pathologic significance when associated to functional corpora lutea. These findings should be kept in mind during the clinico-diagnostic approach and the eventual therapeutic choose.
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.